I admit that I find baking intimidating. All that exactness and science is not exactly how I operate in the kitchen. I’m definitely a cook who throws in a dash of this and a bunch of that when I create meals. Even so, always one to challenge myself, I saw a bunch of ripening bananas at the grocery and decided to take on the task. Just to make it rich, I went with a cream cheese frosting center and rather than plain walnuts or pecans, I added praline pecans which are sweet and rich for Fall cooking. This recipe would equally work with pumpkin vs bananas. My foray into baking was very sweet! Happy Fall!
Praline Pecan Banana Bread With Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter at room temp
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas (about 5 medium bananas)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Praline Pecans – see ingredients & instructions below
- Cream Cheese Frosting – see ingredients & instructions below
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter or use cooking spray on a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan; set aside.
- In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment: cream soft butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs to mixer; beat to incorporate.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly add dry mixture to the mixer w/ butter & sugar
- Mix until just combined
- Add bananas, sour cream, and vanilla
- Mix to combine.
- Crush 2/3 cup of the prepared praline pecans (receipe below)
- Mix into the batter
- Pour into prepared pan
- Sprinkle full praline pecans on top of bread
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 1 hour
- To check doneness, insert a cake tester or toothpick into the center of the bread and pull it out – if the tester is clean, the bread is baked through
- Let rest in pan for 10 minutes
- Turn out onto a rack to cool
- Once bread is baked and cooled, cut it in .
- Spread cream cheese frosting evenly over bottom half. (Recipe below)
- Top with remaining half of bread
- 2 cups whole pecans
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl combine pecans, brown sugar, and heavy cream.
- Spread into a square baking pan, sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until coating is dry, and slightly crystallized, stirring once.
- Remove from oven to cool and stir once more.
- If not serving immediately, store in an airtight container.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 ounces of cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Use electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment
- Beat together 6 ounces cream cheese, 3 tablespoons confectioners’sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract until smooth
(adapted from Martha Stewart’s banana bread recipe & Paula Dean’s Praline Pecan recipe)